So now you’ve decided to start your fitness program.
Maybe you joined a gym, hired a personal trainer, or just gotten a friend to work out with on a regular basis.
You even got your nutrition dialed in with a good nutritious meal plan, and are writing in your nutrition journal (which is a Great idea by the way).
This is a short list of things you can do to supercharge your fitness results.
1. Take a whole food multi-vitamin. For your body to burn fat as fast as possible, you want to make sure that you have all the nutrients your body needs. Obviously you want to get as many nutrients as possible from the nutritious foods you are eating every day. Taking a whole food multi-vitamin is like having nutritional insurance for your body. I recommend the one sold here ( for men / for women ), but you can certainly go to your local health food store and get a good one that they may recommend. I just don’t personally like the idea of getting synthetic vitamins made in a laboratory somewhere, which is why I recommend the one’s that I do.
2. Get a foam roller. We all have stress that accumulates over time in our minds and bodies. Working our certainly helps to relieve that stress – especially if you have a good personal trainer. But workouts can also make your muscles tight and sore if you are working hard. A foam roller is an awesome tool to help loosen up tight muscles. It is kind of like being able to give yourself a massage anytime you want one. Here is my favorite place to get foam rollers. You can also get them at Target in the workout section, but they are a little more expensive there with less selection. I recommend getting the 6 inch diameter round foam roller, in either 12 inch or 36 inch lengths.
3. Drink green tea with ginger root. This combination is incredible for alleviating muscle soreness! Green tea has a lot of great antioxidants, as well as boosting your metabolism so that you can burn more fat. The ginger is great for calming your stomach, as well as helping your sore muscles to recover faster. Just be sure to make your own, and don’t buy that junk in a bottle from the store! You don’t want all those artificial sweeteners or sugar.
4. Other supplements you may find useful (most supplements are garbage and not worth taking – don’t waste your money!) are a good protein powder, fish oil, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. I recommend this fish oil, and here is an all in one metabolism booster that contains green tea, cinnamon, cayenne, L-tyrosine and more called Metabolism (appropriately enough =).
5. Make sure that you are using a food journal each and every day. Research has shown that accountability doubles fat loss! We give all of our personal training clients a fancy nutrition journal, but you can just as easily use a 99 cent notebook. A bonus strategy that we really like is to end each day by writing a success of the day. Keeping a positive mindset is incredibly important to long term fat loss, and this habit helps to reinforce the positive things you are doing for yourself.
One more thing I forgot to mention is getting a good blender for you protein drinks. I have been through Many blenders, and my 2 favorites are the Kitchen Ninja, and the Vita-Mix. The Vita-Mix is by far the most powerful blender I have used, but it comes with a hefty price tag (approximately $400). The Kitchen Ninja is about 95% as useful, but costs Much less (approximately $40-$60). The only thing it has not handled to my satisfaction is grinding dry ingredients like golden flax seeds or coffee, but you can easily get a coffee grinder very inexpensively.
That’s it for now! In the future I may add to this list, but this should get you started. You should be proud of yourself for getting started on your path to fitness, now it may be time to Supercharge your results with some ideas from a personal trainer.
Have a Spectacular Day!