Hanging on the wall of the Totally New You! Personal Training Studio is a sign:
Buddhist to do list
You have 3 Primary Nervous Systems:
- Sympathetic – fight or flight, stress
- ParaSympathetic – calm and relaxation
- Autonomic – digestion and reproduction
How you Breathe Directly Influences both the Sympathetic and ParaSympathetic.
Your Lungs are actually comprised of 4 lobes. When you breathe through your mouth and into your chest, you only get air into the top two lobes. This activates the Sympathetic Nervous System – which makes you feel stressed. Useful if you are about to get into a fight, not so useful for dealing with co-workers and family! =)
Breathing deeply through your nose and into your belly gets air all the way down to the bottom 2 lobes. This activates the ParaSympathetic Nervous System, which is calming. You can Instantly lower your Heart Rate and Blood Pressure by simply Re-Learning how to Breathe!
- Hyperventilate through the mouth 30 times – notice the effect
- Take 10 Deep breathes in through the nose, all the way down into your belly – how does that feel? Different?
This is Stress Management 101
This is an Incredible tool that you always have at your disposal!
Don’t let your circumstances dictate your reactions.
Learn to take Control and Respond Appropriately!